Wednesday, October 24, 2012

It's in the details ... MISTED felt

A week or so ago I shared this Lily Bee layout. I wanted to take a some time go a little more into detail about my title treatment on my layout.



One-last-sunny-day


As I have said many times I am totally addicted to using the negative space from cut out titles and images. I backed this title with quilted misted felt technique. I really loved the quilted felt look I first used it on a card I did for Lily Bee titled "Happy Hello". So I decided to take my idea to the next level.



Today I am sharing a quilted misted felt technique. I started off with white felt but I thought it was a little harsh for my title. So I decided to colorize the felt with some mist. For this project I used Wheat Beer from Tattered Angels. I took this photo right after I misted the felt once it dried it lightened up.

One-last-sunny-technique-01


The next step is sewing the misted felt to my background paper using a lattice pattern. I know you are thinking wow such staright lines ... all I did was use my pressure foot as a guide it was pretty easy once a baseline stitch is in place.

One-last-sunny-technique-02


Once the lattice pattern is completed and the thread trimmed I simply layered my title on top.



One-last-sunny-technique-03


This is a super fun technique. The felt really absorbed the mist and once it was dry it did not come off onto my hands. Since my stitching is white the detail of this title treatment gets lost in translation.  Note to self: try this technique using a darker mist so there is more contrast.


You can check out my original post about this layout here and see the full supply list. Have a happy Thursday friends.



Summer-signature


 



No comments:

Post a Comment